Image source: Chris Spielmann via Wikimedia Commons
For most restaurant managers, the thought process behind providing an outdoor seating area for their customers is to provide them with a unique area where they can have a wonderful dining experience. However, despite their good intentions, when such spaces become too crowded, it can become unsafe for all parties involved.
Therefore, like any reputable Bay Area security guard company will tell you, there are certain precautions you can take to prevent such incidents from occurring.
How to make the outdoor area of your business safe and secure
Enhance your layout and design
When it comes to the layout and design of your patio area, you can create a space that is capable of offering a unique experience to patrons, whilst still ensuring their safety and comfort. To achieve this, you should consider the following:
- Have an enclosed patio with either dividers or fencing to provide privacy and security for clients.
- Create ample space between furniture pieces to ensure there is a clear pathway for employees to maneuver and an easy exit point for patrons to use in case of an emergency.
- Have smart locks installed to minimize patio access after business hours.
- Have awnings, umbrellas, or canopies to protect customers from intense sunlight or rain.
- Repair any uneven pavement features to avert potential tripping hazards.
- Install smart lights to lighten up patio area after sunset.
- Purchase quality and durable furniture made from synthetic metal, plastic, or wood that is capable of withstanding the elements.
Installation of cameras and video surveillance equipment
Professional Bay Area security guards will also tell you, that if you wish to make your restaurant’s patio area a bit more secure, you should have cameras and video surveillance equipment installed. Also, to make the most out of them, you should:
- Archive any footage from past days or weeks that may serve as evidence in case a crime happens on the property.
- Have motion triggered cameras to capture suspicious movements.
- Make sure all cameras are positioned well to minimize blind spots.
- Make sure all your legal documents are up to date and adhere to the requirements of the law.
Put up some kind of mobile tracking system
With a mobile monitoring and tracking system in place, you can accomplish the following:
- Lower your energy bills since you’ll be able to remotely switch the patio lights on or off.
- Have a scheduled and automatic arming system that suits your operating hours.
- Be able to view activity reports using alerts whenever any patio access points are used.
Contact Orion Security for San Jose Security Services
Whether you’re looking for mobile patrol or top notch security features, you should do your best to ensure your restaurants’ patio area is a safe, comfortable, and inviting environment for all customers. Orion Security provides uniformed guards, mobile patrol and security surveillance for the South Bay and San Jose areas. For security pricing info and/or a quote, use our online contact form or call 408-287-4411.